Thursday 6 December 2012

What is the condition of your heart?


What is the condition of your heart? If you had to draw a picture of your heart, what would it look like? When I met Jesus years ago, I underwent a radical transformation. I remember seeing my heart depicted as a house, it looked like one of those deserted, wooden houses standing in a field with a big tree next to it. As Jesus invaded my heart it turned into a beautiful glass house. He opened every window, old door, cupboard and spring cleaned so thoroughly that there was no darkness or weed to be found. I felt as if my heart was made out of glass and that there was nothing hidden and that I can stand in front of Him and He can see through me. I was hiding nothing and nothing was holding me back.
It is our responsibility to keep our hearts in that condition. We need to be careful what we allow into our hearts. I can immediately feel when anger, bitterness, resentment, hatred, unforgiveness, offence etc. try and worm its way into my heart. It’s like a rotten egg thrown at my window and I just know that there is something unpleasant going on. If you don’t realise it immediately then it might happen over a few days, you start feeling less peaceful and more irritable and the condition worsens the longer we take to deal with it.
The problem with the emotions mentioned above is that they take up space in our hearts, the space which love used to fill and this makes us feel drained, burdened and irritable. Your glass house now has weeds growing out the window and this is embarrassing, so you just withdraw because of shame and anger towards others. And if the weeds are not dealt with, our hearts close up, the glass turns to wood and we design walls to keep others out, mostly because we are angry at the world, vulnerable and ashamed of our pain. The worst thing is that we don’t just keep people out, but we also keep the love of God out and then our hearts can grow hard.
If you find yourself in this situation, whether there is a small weed growing or whether your house is completely closed with extra barbed wire around the wall and a big “keep out” sign out front, it does not matter to God. Nothing is impossible for Him and there is no heart that He cannot heal. God is more than capable to deal with any issues that you might have. All you need to do is allow Him to enter.
Often we already know what we have allowed into our hearts, especially if it’s something small, but sometimes it can be years of brokenness, hurt and rejection and these things will take time. Remember that He is gentle and kind and that He operates in love. He knows how fast He can clean and what you can and cannot handle. He works at your pace, slowly pulling out weeds and replacing them with love.
I’m not encouraging you to go on a journey of introspection and to find issues in yourself, but rather take the things that you do know of or the things that are bothering you and sit with the Holy Spirit and ask Him to show you how to deal with them and to fill your heart with love. God is taking us from glory to glory on this wonderful journey with Him. Do not be anxious because of where you are at in your journey, but know that if you hold His hand you will always reach your intended destination.
“Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.” Ps 51:10
“And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.” 2 Cor 3:18
“Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting!” Psalm 139:23-24
Photo credit: favim

2 comments:

  1. Your words comfort me, cause me to ask myself better questions and put me in touch with key verses to help me as I heal. Thank you. Sharing my words with you...

    To Heal My Heart

    Heartbroken, but still alive-
    one thousand scattered pieces to rebuild.

    They’ve often been as cobblestones
    loosening slowly with the miles of years
    ‘neath wandering, trampling feet.
    They’ve sometimes been as colored tiles,
    a mosaic hidden ‘neath a hollow wall
    unfinished ‘til it breaks again.

    And here they lie- those thousand pieces-
    and I am still alive.

    Perhaps for now I’ll let them lie-
    and stoke the fire of pain and sorrow
    molten hot,
    and from the flames create stained glass-
    a heart once more made whole
    and all sides let the light shine through.

    --ML

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. :) God is so faithful in restoring us. Your stained glass will shine His glory all around and be an encouragement to many. You are brave in not allowing your experiences to hold you back from the purposes that God has for you. Keep moving forward, He is faithful and with you. You are blessed!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I would love for you to comment or email me your thoughts, questions or testimonies. Please comment in the box provided below or email the administrator - andlovewillfindyou@gmail.com.